The Care Advice Centre provides Independent Social Work support and advice on a range of areas including:
- · Arranging care and support in the community or residential placements
- · Support with hospital discharges
- · Support with hospital discharges under the Mental Health Act and support at tribunals
- · Support with benefit applications
- · Review of care and support needs
- · Visiting services
- · Certificate providers for Lasting Powers of Attorney
- · COP3 and mental capacity assessments
- · Applications for NHS and Continuing Healthcare and support with appeals
- · Case management
- · Expert witness reports
- · Practice Educator services
In addition to providing these services we also attend events to give free advice on all of these areas. In the past month we have attended an event during National Carers Week, meeting with members of the public to answer questions and give advice. This included advice on how to access monies from charities to assist a gentleman, who is currently housebound, to purchase a mobility scooter to enable him to go out. I also attended a small support group to speak with members about Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Last week we became members of the Corby Dementia Friendly Community Steering Group. The focus of this group is to create a dementia friendly community in Corby, working with other businesses and organisations. The Alzheimer’s Society co-ordinate the dementia friendly communities programme which encourages everyone to share responsibility for ensuring that people living with dementia feel understood, valued and able to contribute to their community. We aim to support the community in Corby including businesses, theatres etc to become dementia friendly.
The Care Advice Centre is also a committee member of the newly formed CoPPA East Midlands group. This is a multi-disciplinary organisation whose aims are to consolidate and develop good practice in the Court of Protection and in the implementation of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. We are currently arranging our launch event, so look out for more details!
If you require support or advice, or would like us to attend your meeting group, please contact us on 07764480565.